Saturday, October 11, 2014

Dessert

I'm going to let you in on a little secret:  I love dessert.

As a kid, back when we would have church potlucks where everything was homemade from scratch, usually from some famous family recipe, I would hit the dessert table first.  I didn't want to miss out on the cherry pie, the chocolate chip cookies, or the maple butterscotch cake.  When I would get home from school, I would make snickerdoodles and eat so much of the dough that I never really cared to have any cookies once they were baked, at least until the next day.  Put a plate of chocolate chip pecan cookies in front of me, and you might just find it empty when you come back.

My sister once made me a batch of the delectable chocolate chip cookies where the dough rests for 24-72 hours so the flavors meld and are baked with a sprinkle of sea salt on top.  She still makes fun of me for eating at least two for breakfast every day, not to mention the ones I had for mid-afternoon snack and then the before-bedtime snack.  I love all desserts, but a batch of salty-sweet chocolate chip cookies are my downfall.  I just can't resist.

We sometimes have apple cobbler for lunch or cookies and smoothies for supper.  Of course, I make the cookies healthy by reducing the sugar by 75% and adding ground flax seed and an extra cup of oats.  Dropping the sugar down by that much takes them out of the dessert category and into the meal category in my opinion so that even in the days when I am much more diligent about healthy eating in our family I feel like we are still within the bounds.

So next time you see me at a pot luck dinner of some sort, don't be surprised if you see me head to the dessert table first.  I promise I'll leave room for carrot and celery sticks.

I've joined the Ultimate Blog Challenge in an attempt to get myself blogging again on a regular basis.  Daily blogging means imperfect posts that often feel uninspired, but there you go.  I'm blogging and that's what I'm going for.

No comments:

Post a Comment